Visits to Haworth
Follow in the footsteps of the Brontë sisters in this historic Yorkshire village
The village of Haworth, situated amid the majestic moors of the
South Pennine hills in West Yorkshire, is the epicentre of the
breathtakingly-scenic area known romantically as "Brontë
The star attraction of this handsome Yorkshire village is the historic parsonage which stands atop a hill beside St Michael and All Angels church. Parish priest Patrick Brontë moved here in 1820 with his wife Maria, son Branwell and five daughters. Initially the family was beset by tragedy; Patrick's wife, aged 38, died the following year and two daughters, Maria and Elizabeth succumbed to tuberculosis in childhood.
It is the literary legacy, however, of sisters Charlotte, Emily and Jane Brontë that Haworth celebrates. The parsonage, now a museum in which the rooms have been lovingly restored, furnished and decorated exactly as they were when the Brontës lived there, was the place in which classic novels including Wuthering Heights, Jane Eyre and The Tenant of Wildfell Hall were written.
Local devotion to the Brontës is evident throughout Haworth, but there are other reasons to visit. Numerous walking routes traverse the magnificent surrounding countryside, often featuring locations that inspired the sisters' work. Haworth is also a stop on the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway, where guided tours of the station's historic engine sheds and journeys through Brontë Country by steam train are experiences not to be missed.