A visit to Carrog
Natural beauty and historic attractions surround this unspoilt Welsh village
The tiny rural village of Carrog in Denbighshire, North Wales
offers the ultimate escape into one of the most isolated, tranquil
and beautiful areas of the country. Situated beside the River Dee
and in the shadow of the heather-clad Berwyn mountain range, Carrog
is the last stop on the scenic Llangollen Steam Railway line.
The origins of Carrog are unclear but it is known that an agricultural community already existed when a parish church was built beside the river in the early sixteenth century. This original church was entirely lost when the Dee flooded in 1601, and the construction of the oldest part of the current church, now situated in the centre of the village, did not begin until 1610, taking between four and five years to complete.
The original name of the village was Llansanffraid-Glyn Dyfrdwy until the arrival of the railway in 1860. In order to avoid confusion with similarly-named destinations, the village adopted the name 'Carrog' from a local mansion and estate on the opposite bank of the River Dee.
The steam railway remains Carrog's greatest attraction today, although the surrounding Welsh countryside and mountains offer a wealth of walking and hiking opportunities. Close to the village, the River Dee is spanned by a magnificent stone bridge which was constructed in 1660 and replaced an earlier ford.