Train Touristique Pays de Caux
Running through gentle rolling countryside before taking in the glorious seaside scenery of the Alabaster Coast, the Train Touristique Pays de Caux is now a much-loved French heritage railway. The line, which runs for just over four miles between the towns of Les Loges and Etretat, initially opened in 1895 as part of a longer line from Paris. This was to maximise the Normandy coastline's potential as a holiday for Parisian workers. In addition to this role, the railway also took on further duties during both of the World Wars. In the first conflict, it transported injured soldiers to the special hospitals in Etretat; during the Second World War, it carried supplies to build a vital sea wall defence.
With the rise of the family car, traffic levels along the line dipped in the years after the war, and passenger services were withdrawn in the early 1950s. When all rail services were cancelled in 1972, a preservation society formed and restored the idyllic section that can be enjoyed today. Having gone from strength to strength since its re-opening, the railway is much-loved by tourists and locals alike.