The Mid-Norfolk Railway was opened as a section of the
Lynn & Dereham Railway in 1847. Apart from changing owners
after the Grouping of 1923 and Nationalisation in 1947, the line
continued in much the same way for over a century. However, falling
numbers of passenger traffic led to the withdrawal of passenger
services in 1965. Goods services continued to run for a number of
years, so although there was an interest in resurrecting heritage
passenger services, nothing could be done.
When freight traffic came to an end in 1995, the railway's preservation trust took action. Later that year the first services began on a small section of the line. These proved to be an immediate success, and the line has managed to extend to its current length.