The narrow gauge Launceston Steam Railway offers its passengers an enchanting journey through the beautiful Cornish countryside, on a delightful 2-and-a-half-mile long journey. Linking the town of Launceston with the hamlet of Newmills, the train follows a route carved out by the magnificent Kensey Valley, on a route once used by the old North Cornwall Railway.
The first iteration of the line, a standard gauge railway line, was opened in 1865. It was extended throughout the 1800s and ran until the 1960s when it faced closure. The railway was revived as a narrow gauge line, opening on Boxing Day 1983, and was extended over the next seven years to its current length. The locomotives used on the line today are all lovingly restored Victorian steam engines, with the oldest and main locomotive, Lillian, dating back to 1883.