The 'Truffadou' Line in France opened for service between Martel
and St Denis Les-Martel in 1889, and from then onwards competed
strongly with river traffic on the Dordogne. It was successful, but
it was dismantled in 1917 by American soldiers to help the First
World War effort. The line was rebuilt - also with the help of
American soldiers - the following year.
In the inter-war period, the line had a renaissance as it was
used to transport truffles from Martel's Market, one of the most
important in France at that time. It was because of this that the
line got its nickname. The railway continued to operate, though
with a dwindling level of success, until its closure in 1980.
The society of concerned enthusiasts grouped to save the railway
in 1991, and after much hard work, the railway began to run
the Truffadou Train again in 1997. Run entirely
by volunteers, the railway runs its entire original length
of four miles.